Sunday, March 25, 2012

New Food Challenge #5: Quinoa


Quinoa (pronounced keenwa). What a funky looking word eh? I know you have heard of it... it all trendy and shit nowadays. But it should be! Its a superfood!

It is a grain (well it is actually a seed) that is high in protein, rich in fiber and iron, it has a low glycemic index and contains a whole whack of amino acids. You can use it to replace any rice or grain dish you have. I have seen crazy stuff like quinoa muffins and quinoa pizza dough (soooo trying that in the future). It also keeps you fuller, longer.. which is pure awesomeness.

If you don't believe me, look it up =P. I am not an expert, I just report from experts.

So how does this fit in the student world? Well maybe a few years ago, I would have said it doesn't fit. Simply because of the price and its accessability. But nowadays you can find it at most grocery stores and price is dropping - it is comparable to rice really. But my favourite place to get it is at the Bulk Barn. You can get as little or as much as you want!

You have to cook it like you would cook rice. REAL rice, not Instant or Minute Rice (yes I admit, I use minute rice quite often). So it does take some time. It isn't instant (HA). If you are not used to that, you may be slightly annoyed. But it is worth it I think.

It is also something you can eat hot and cold - which is great for leftover lunches at school.

So give it a try. See what you think. The name is enticing in itself don't you think? Stay tuned and I will show you some ways to use it. I've got some ideas brewin...


Today's Contender: Quinoa
Taste: *****/5
Ease of Use: ****/5
Accessibility: ****/5
Affordability: ***/5
Overall: ****/5

2 comments:

  1. Mmm! I love quinoa. I hope you will make it again soon so we can see your ideas! Such a cool food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always wanted to try Quinoa but it seemed super intimidating...I guess now I will have no excuse but to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...