Sunday, April 10, 2011

Easy Chicken Pot Pie Casserole


Switching things up here with my third crescent roll recipe. This time I use the pastry in a savory way by using them in a casserole. This recipe actually comes from a friend of mine who grew up in Sault St. Marie. The Sault is known for their very cold badass winters - and when its cold outside, there is nothing better than something warm and delicious to heat your belly. When she made this dish for me I was floored, it was so good yet so incredibly cheap and easy to make. Ever since then I have been making this dish for friends everywhere and there is yet to be a belly unsatisfied.


Let me tell you something, if you are making this for others, I suggest you make extra because I guarantee that seconds will be asked for. Also to note, the original recipe is made with a layer of crescent rolls on the bottom as well as the top and the sides folded up to make one giant strudel almost. I prefer this was of making it because I think the crust is the best part! Unfortunately I ran out of crescent rolls at this point so I had to settle for just one layer on the top.

Easy Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
Time: 25 mins.            CPS: $1.78           L of D: Undergraduate

- 1 Chicken Breast
- 1 Can of Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1-2 cups of frozen vegetables (peas, carrots, bean mix)
- 1-2 pkgs of Crescent Rolls
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar or marble cheese

Preheat oven according to crescent roll package.

Cut up chicken breast into chunks and throw in a frying pan at medium-high heat. Season with salt and pepper. Fry until cooked through - approximately 6-8 minutes.

In the meantime, in a large bowl, mix together frozen vegetables, shredded cheese and cream of mushroom soup (DO NOT ADD WATER). When the chicken is cooked, add that to the mix as well.

If you are putting a layer of crescent rolls on the bottom, make sure to spray your casserole dish with a non-stick cooking spray. Roll out the crescent rolls in a single layer on the bottom. Pour mixture into center of dish. Put another layer of crescent rolls on top and pinch the layers together.

Or if you are making it like I did, pour the mixture into the casserole dish and put a layer of crescent rolls on top. Regardless of your method, poke holes in the top to allow the steam to escape.

Place in oven and cook according to crescent roll package or until the pastry is a golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...