Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Roasted Acorn Squash


I love the fall. I love the smell of the season, the leaves changing, the really great colors of fall fashion. But I have to say, what I love the most, is squash. It's hearty, nutritious, tasty and when in season, it is extremely cheap! Grocery stores tend to sell squash at $0.79 a pound. But guess what? I made the hike out to Trail's End Farmer's Market in London Ontario and I found squash of all kinds for 4/$5! And we are talking the big suckers too! Oh man what a deal...or shall I say.. STEAL! It really makes you think about how much grocery stores mark up their produce eh? I am a big supporter of shopping at farmer's markets, not only do we win buy getting great produce at low prices, but we are supporting local communities and farmers.

Anyways. Back to the squash. Now most of you are familiar with butternut squash. And why wouldn't you? It's awesome! But sometimes I like to switch it up a bit like with some acorn squash. The flavor is more peppery and not as rich. They are also the perfect size and make their own little serving dish! I personally love acorn squash when you are eating it plain and I leave the butternut for when I am making soups or other types of dishes.

The most simple way to make squash is to roast it, and in my opinion, the best way to eat it.

Roasted Acorn Squash

1 Acorn Squash
1 tbsp of butter (more if you like mmhmm)
Salt and Pepper

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Cut the squash in half and scoop out the seeds (like a pumpkin!). If you like, save the seeds for later and wash them. You can roast them just like pumpkin seeds.

Brush or smush the butter all over the inside of the squash and sprinkle salt and pepper over top. Place the squash in some kind of casserole dish and put in oven.

Roast for approximately 20-30 minutes (depending on how big the squash is). How to tell if it is done? Poke it with a fork! If it is tender, your ready to eat.

Smells sooooo good.

2 comments:

  1. May I suggest tossing about a teaspoon of brown sugar in each half of squash along with the butter for an equally delicious variation... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've tried this before! It is delicious! Great suggestion =)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...