Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Apple, Raisin, Toasted Walnut and Spinach Salad


Lately I have had so many apples kicking around my house and my goal is to find interesting ways to utilize them. One unique way I thought of is to use them in a salad. Apples add a sweetness and a crunch (a double whammy!) that pair nicely with the tart dressing.

Salads are a staple in most people's diet, so different variations keep things interesting. I know that when I find a combo I love, I can add way more spinach (or whatever) without realizing that I am just eating a plate of greens. Salads are also great to take for lunch, if you leave the dressing separate to minimize soggy-ness.

Salads are meant to be healthy. But it doesn't mean they have to be boring.

Apple, Raisin, Toasted Walnut and Spinach Salad

2 cups of Spinach
Handful of Walnuts
Handful of Raisins
1 Apple

Dressing
1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
1 tsp of Dijon Mustard
2 tbsp of Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper to taste

For the dressing, start by whisking all the ingredients together. Or, you can do it Michael Smith-style and put it all in a small jar and give it a shake! Set aside.

Put the walnuts in a dry pan over medium heat. Toast them until you can start to smell them (about 3 minutes) rolling them around in the pan every once in a while. Once you can start to smell them, glue yourself to that stove-top because the time from perfect toast to burnt can be about 30 seconds. When they are golden brown, remove from pan (or they will continue to toast).

Cut up your apples. I chose to do them like little matchsticks. That way they were easier to put in my mouth. But really? Who cares, just slice em 'n' dice em how you like em.

Put your salad together with ingredients. It's a salad, you can figure out how to do this step =)

Cooking for 1 Tip: There is no tip, this is perfect for one person as is!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...